Wednesday, January 24, 2024

New Life For An Old Doll

Time for another doll makeover. I had put the dolls aside during the holidays. Too much stress and anxiety for me to find enjoyment with my creations. But since Christmas is finally done and away, I'm getting back to my normal routines. That includes making new characters from an old doll. 

Who am I making this time? 

So glad you asked! This nerdy girl has been inspired to create her own version of a plague doctor doll. The inspiration came after testing dyes out when I made the Harley Quinn doll. Turns out that blond dolls from Mattel don't soak up dyes as well as I had thought they would. Blond is an actual color on their hair. So in order to get true color changes, you'd have to strip the yellow out. But I wasn't ready to test that. Instead, after trying to make it black, but it turning an almost silver instead, I tried red. That just made the tips a pinkish color. So I had the idea, why not make her a plague doctor? After all, the doctors dealt with a horrible disease, but didn't walk away unscathed. https://i.pinimg.com/736x/45/e0/3e/45e03ef5af022563ebb383376d5c8a2b.jpg 

Despite their many talismans and beliefs of the time. Like wearing all black robes that were sealed with fat or oil in the hopes that it would repel the disease? How about the pomander around their neck that would be filled with strong-smelling herbs in the hopes of scaring off the plague? Their cane was to give examinations of plague victims with distance afforded. Their beaked mask was to not only scare off the disease, but to be filled with herbs to keep the pungent odors of victims from carrying the disease into their own noses. Even the glass eyes of the mask had the purpose of scaring the plague away and keeping their eyes from taking in the sickness.

Oh yes, I did my research. So here is the progression of making my own Plague Doctor doll. I want some historical accuracy, but with some beauty and style as well. 

First the hair...

I told you how her hair came to be. The idea that she was treating the diseased back in the dark ages of the plague, led to her hair (originally a deep auburn) being drained of color. Thus, she has a silverish tone throughout with only a slim amount of red on her tips (that looks a little more pink in some lights). All that is left of the vibrancy she once knew in life.

Then came the dress!

Clothes can truly define your character. They can be recognized or admired. I chose a simple gown pattern that you can get online for free. I had a plain black material that had a shiny, soft feel to one side. Don't ask me what type - I'm no good at recognizing most fabrics. I will say it was a thicker kind. This allows me to have some stiffness. A soft, shiny side with a more velvety underside.

Sewing this by hand took a LONG time. And was painful. But it helped me pass cold nights and think of how I wanted her to look in the end. I have also come to learn that darting a gown is harder than I thought! And one last thought, you might want to get a fabric pencil to make out the parts. I did this without one. And kept wishing I had bought one for this kind of thing. Just a tip. Then I decided to start embellishing it. I gave her a silver belt from a decoration my mother had sent a long while back.

Now for her talisman pieces...

I had this silver button in my sewing collection. It looks so much like a pomander ball! The under side even has holes. She would put her herbs inside it and wear it around her neck. 

A cross. During the plague, the Catholic cult was a huge religion. Wearing gaudy crosses were like a sign on them screaming that they were holy.   My doll is a Christian. So it isn't because of a religious tradition, but a true hope in God that she carries this one. 

A time piece. Or for your modern language, a pocket watch. This was a charm that I had amongst my remaining steampunk pieces. I added some paint to make it more realistic. 

Then came the cane...

Her cane is actually longer. I chose to go with more of a staff. So I took a skewer stick, cut it to my desired length, and painted it black. Now to add decorations. I was finding various styles to go with for the head, but replicating those in miniature was going to be tricky. So I started digging through the crafting bin. I feel like a hoarder when I pull it out, but then I always find something that will work for the project in hand.  

But she still seems so bare. I'd make sleeves, but my skills in that regard are severely lacking. So instead, I opted to sew a long cape.

I didn't quite get it right, so this cape doesn't have a functional hood. At first, she looked like a bride of Dracula. (My daughters like this photo, looks like she spooked the Witch behind her.)
I pinned down the edges to make it look like it is laying open. Then the clasp comes from an old earring. Or would have been, but it kept popping loose. So I put in a snap and then snipped the post off the earring before sewing it over the top part of the snap. 

Every doctor needs a case! 

I had this tiny tin that was sent to me. After a fresh coat of black paint, it became her valise. A doctor of her time had more than just the tools that are worn. They needed the ones far more utilized that are carried about. So I put together her travel case. Inside, we have her syringe that I 3D printed. A mortar and pestle set that was also 3D printed. I had previously printed these beakers. I am still hoping that one day I can put together better tools, but these will do for now. 

But let us not forget the main piece of equipment that identifies her - her mask. I found a 3D printer file to resize that made the perfect mask for her.

My daughter also told me to throw in some of the green bits that came with a miniature kit she built to be the 'herbs' the doctor would use in her mortar and pestle! A fantastic suggestion. 

But when the mask comes off...

I started thinking about her pink lips. That part bothered me. I have no skill for a facial repaint. But her pink lips looked too healthy. So I consulted my husband on a color. He thought light blue. A sorta-lean into someone cold and sick. I tried to mix an acceptable blue. My backup was going to be black lips, but that seemed a little too dark for me. Like I said though, my painting skills aren't the greatest, so she may wear her mask often in the hopes of hiding her lips....

When I thought I was finished, my husband reminded me that she needed the hat. So in comes the cardboard spool from a used ribbon roll, cardboard cut into a wide brim circle, and felt to cover the whole thing.
NOW I can say she is complete. And I absolutely love her. AND I can finish helping with my daughters' doll creation now. So keep watching, and you will see another one soon.

2 comments:

  1. This came out so well!! This would be a collection piece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! She is going to be on a display shelf in my doll crafting space one day.

      Delete