Saturday, January 20, 2024

Lost Photos of a Great Memory

If you are like me, you probably have a hard drive full of digital photos and then printed photos in a box. Ever since my first camera, I have loved taking pictures. Of people. Of places. Of things that I've seen. Some are so random. The best ones are of people when they weren't even looking my way. And sometimes, I even forget about photos. So stumbling on them again is like a flood of memories coming back.

But there were some priceless ones that I recently found. From our trip to Israel. We had asked another member of the tour group to use my camera and capture the moments of my husband and I being baptized in the Jordan River! 

Why was this such a big deal for us? 

My husband and I were baptized in our younger years. I, in the Presbyterian church. My husband, in his childhood, at a Baptist church. Neither of us making a conscious choice, but rather doing what our parents expected of us.

Personally, as I became an adult who was getting back into the Bible and really dedicating myself to the Lord, I came to realize that I needed to be truly baptized. To show that I really had given over to God and was ready to live the way He called me to. But when I came to this choice, we were not in a church that we called Home. And baptisms were not frequently offered. So I kept waiting. 

When were signing up to go to Israel, they offered us the chance to have the pastor that led the church group we went with, to baptize us. In the Jordan River. In Israel! My husband and I both jumped at the chance. First off, it was Pastor Ed Taylor of the Calvary in Aurora, Colorado! He had been the pastor we listened to at home. His church was the one where my husband rededicated himself to the Lord and we called that church our Home away from home. So that was an honor for us both. But even more so, was that we could be baptized in the Holy Land. What an amazing memory to make. For me, to make it with the man I loved, was the best part of all! We decided then and there, that this was where we would really and truly live like Christians are called to. No more halfhearted efforts. 

So having these photos, reminds us of that decision. 

What was it like? 

Cold. And dirty. 

You know that story of the Syrian, Naaman, coming to Elisha and asking to be healed of his leprosy? Elisha told him to go wash in the Jordan River. Naaman was furious! (2 Kings 5:1-14) Want to know why? That is the nastiest water! Smells bad. Your feet squish in slimy mud (even with my water shoes). There were what felt like rocks and sticks as well. And when we went in March, that water was freezing cold! I was glad it was so quick. I was shivering, with teeth chattering by the time I climbed out. The two pastors (father and son), had to wear wet suits to stay warm enough to get through all of us who chose to be baptized.

We were asked why we were doing this. For us both, it was to say with a deliberate mind that we wanted to do this. That we made the choice for ourselves. And that we were proud to have decided this. 
To say that I was nervous would be an understatement. First off, I felt very exposed. Secondly, I'm a bigger woman about to be dunked by a pretty thin guy. I was kinda worried he would lose his grip and it would be an ugly sight of me trying to regain my footing and come back up. And lastly, I did NOT want this water going up my nose! I was almost holding my breath the entire time we prayed before the dunking.
Is it strange that I worried I'd throw his back out? Thankfully, I didn't. Thankfully, he kept hold. Thankfully, it was a smooth journey back upright. And praise God, I've announced in this small way, I'm His child! And I will live like one to the best of my ability through His grace and mercy.
We can rejoice. Not because getting dunked makes us saved. Not because it changed us physically, emotionally or maybe even changed us spiritually. But because this reminds us to be accountable.
If you haven't, I highly recommend you give your life to God. If you have, but haven't been baptized, maybe you should consider it. It is a symbol of going under as a sinner, and coming up washed clean. Then live it out!

2 comments: