Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Reading Kingdom is Helping My 6 Year Old in Our Homeschool

Teaching my children to read wasn't working very well the first time I tried homeschooling. I'm just not as good teaching the basics as I am in continuing the lessons that follow. However, I am no longer floundering in this! I am currently using Reading Kingdom to help my 5 year old in learning to read. And she loves it! 

*Disclaimer: I was offered the chance to try out their program in exchange for sharing my honest review. All opinions are my own. I was not otherwise paid or endorsed for this review.*

My daughter loves to read, or rather to be read to. But she wants to read her books, by herself. Whenever and wherever. I have taught her the letters, in both reading and writing them. So she had better understanding in the concepts taught by Reading Kingdom. 

How does it work? 

First, there is an assessment. As a parent who has been described as a helicopter mom, you need to remember that it is important for the program to know where your child ranks on the reading ladder. This assessment will tweak the lessons to start them where they need to be. Start too easy, kids get bored. Start too hard, kids get frustrated and give up. 

Your child needs to do 2 lessons a day, for at least 4 days a week for the best results. And these are online. My daughter hasn't had much tech time. I do that on purpose. But this is not only helping her learn to read and spell words, but also to learn how to work a keyboard and mouse. I know most kids are born with a tablet these days, but she wasn't. So it took some getting used to on her part. 

The lessons will then walk the child through reading steps. Letters that are put together in words, how to recognize words that are missing letters, and how to fill in blanks to create the word.  

Where there difficulties in using the program?

For me, remembering to sign her on the laptop was the tricky part. Thankfully, she enjoys it so much, she reminds me! 

The lessons are pretty easy to follow along with. The instructions are sometimes confusing. She has had issues knowing how to click the letters and not have it come as the wrong answer. 

It did take some getting used to. However, the program was very well thought out.  

Good for many kids!

Whether you are a homeschool Mom needing help to get your kid started in reading, or just want your young one to get a headstart, it can be used either way.  It can stand alone as a reading guide. Or it can supplement a child who is learning off-screen. 

Options

You can sign up for a free trial to see if this is something that will work for you child(ren). Or you can purchase the subscription to it. They have two options. Monthly is about $20 or you can get the year plan for $200. That is the first child. If you have multiple, each one after that is half off the original pricing. 

So check them out and let me know what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment