Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Oh the Cosplayer Dilemma!

I love cosplay. I love the culture. I love dressing up. Becoming my favorite characters for just a short while! So, I often look for the chances to do just that. The last costume opportunity was dressing as a pirate for the homeschool class I teach. It was great fun! And the next one I have scheduled is to be a Viking at the Scarborough Renaissance Festival. But shortly after this, I was planning to create an evening gown style that was reminiscent of Queen Amidala from Star Wars as we attend a night at the symphony. There, we planned to enjoy music from Star Wars and hear (I was also hoping to meet) our beloved Lando Calrissian, Billy Dee Williams. Sadly, he will not be attending. Music is still being planned to include Star Wars, but will also have music from Titanic. And from Lord of the Rings. See, it is called Sounds of the Cinema. Something I had overlooked when planning the evening. According to the email I woke up to, we are going from outer space to Middle Earth as Sean Astin will be present! The Evolution of Sean Astin, From 'The Goonies' to ...I love Sean! He was a crush when I first saw Goonies. Later, I thought he was the better hobbit in Lord of the Rings. I cheered for him in Rudy as he overcame such great odds. And most recently, I about cried when they killed him off in Stranger Things. HOW COULD THEY KILL BOB?!?! The writers at least kept him longer than originally planned and his death was very heroic. Only saving grace for those guys.... But I digress. 

So, what is my dilemma, you ask? Glad you asked. I was in the process of trying to create a Star Wars-esque dress. I was dressing up the Padme look in the black and red battle outfit she had. I thought I would wear my suede black boots with the long black and silver cape. My mother sent me beautiful jewelry to accessorize with. 

But then I get this email that Lando won't be there. Sean Astin will. I would LOVE to be able to meet him. I just want one photo! I promise I wouldn't squeal and go total fan girl on him. I have better control than that. So.... do I wear a Lord of the Rings-like gown instead? My wedding dress was the Elvish style of Arwen. She was, after all, my hero. Beautiful and elf. What I always wanted to be. As much as I love him for Goonies and Stranger Things, I'm not going 80's style. I refuse. Those styles are better left back there. 

The part of this email that caught me the strongest was the Red Carpet. Looking at the picture of what I had started putting together, I'm not feeling like it is Red Carpet level. So do I find another gown to pair up? Or switch to my Elf style? No photo description available. 

What are your thoughts?? I'd love any input on this conundrum of mine. Drop me a comment below and have a great rest of your week!

4 comments:

  1. That is tuff but I thought you said it is a Star Wars themed? I get he was in an elf movie. So it is nice you have options. But go with what you are comfy in. Ad I like the idea you can get more use from your wedding dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought it was all Star Wars music. I didn't realize it was various types of music. Still cool.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I can't wait to go! I'm considering mixing elements to wear both Star Wars and Elf at once.

      Delete