Monday, April 25, 2022

Israel Favorites: Part 4 - Random Places

There are some places that I remember seeing, but couldn't tell you their names. Over 10 days of traveling, we saw and heard and tasted and learned - near constantly - all day, every day. It was a total overload. So these are a few random places that we visited that I may or may not have stories to go with them. However, what I do have is awe in the fact that I was able to visit them. Being that I love history, I tried my hardest to remember and take notes when and where I could. Yet, some of them escape me. 

Like these ruins, for instance. Beautiful reminders of a people long gone. But I can't remember where we saw them or who they were belonging to. I just enjoyed being able to stand among them, or even on them.

Shortly after going through these, we came to a gate that would have stood as far back as when Abraham walked the earth.
I am fascinated by mountains of all kinds. And there are plenty to see around Israel. When we went, some were still snow covered, which we were told was rather unusual for that time of year.
There are so many remnants to be seen of ancient cultures. Of peoples long lost over time. It can bring all kinds of emotions. Sadness at their loss. Boredom at there being so many. Anger at the thought that one group of people would decide to wipe out another. In the end, I was just thankful to see that something of history was preserved. After all, eventually, nothing is left but these remnants. Of any of us. Time has a way of erasing and creating over and over. Israel has a rich history. There are so many nations that have come and gone through its borders. One stacked upon another. It is quite the thought, no?
If you go into Jerusalem, there is Via Dolorosa. Catholics have built up the area with 6 sights (may now be 15) covered along a processional path. We watched them walk the path of Christ with a cross while reciting something. But that is also where you will find a sight that is to be where Pontius Pilate had the dungeon that would have had Jesus brought to testify before him.
While I'm not sure if the Catholics have done enough research to prove this, I do admire the handiwork of their buildings marking each holy site.
In Bethesda, there is a massive site of ruins. From Biblical times to the Crusaders who built among the ruins they found, it is quite the sight to behold. There were pools here at one time that were also mentioned in the Bible if I remember correctly...
It butts up against modern times in a way that fascinated me. What must it be like to live daily, right next to historically important sites? Probably seems meaningless to most.I was glad for a moment to just stand there and embrace the moment.
Speaking of the mountains, we drove  by this place way up above us. Just another bit of ruins basking in the sunlight, far above the highway roads. I can only imagine what history they tell.
 We had the chance to visit the mall before we flew home. Time to unwind and prepare for that long flight to the States. One thing I did not expect to see was a Toys-R-Us! Still looked empty and was definitely overpriced like the ones that closed down over here, but they have one hanging in there, nonetheless.
Ikea too....
I'm just glad I didn't see a Walmart or Target there. That would have really bummed me out.

2 comments: