Sunday, November 12, 2023

Doll-Sized Christmas Celebrations!

Christmas is one holiday I don't mind celebrating. Thanksgiving is probably my favorite, but Christmas comes in second. Of course, that means that I want to create doll-sized fun as well.

Creating the tree

My daughters have wanted a Christmas tree. Especially since my husband bought me the Legend of Zelda one that I use for my doll room. But those doll-sized trees can be SO pricey! Thankfully, we found one at Hobby Lobby that was only $3.50 during a half off sale. My first thought was that it was very much a Charlie Brown Christmas tree! But my oldest daughter fell in love with it. 

We had been given these decorations, mostly for Valentine's Day, but there was one with clear stars hanging from it. I pulled one of the stars off and attached it to the top of the tree. My husband fixed it when he saw that it was "crooked" and nearly "upside down".

Included in those decorations were these little foam balls, covered in red glitter. I was able to add little twine hooks so they could hang them, but my daughter also wanted to just shove some in between the branches. Turns out, they only work with the hooks, when they hang from the bottom. 

Next, we grabbed this mini string of bulbs from Michaels. Normally priced at $3.99, they had an online coupon for 25% off that brought them to $1.79. It is a yard long and we managed to wrap it around the tree pretty nicely. 
And finally, my daughter created this 'skirt' to go around her tree with a scrap of shiny red material.

Tiny lanterns for the dark winter

I picked up these tiny lanterns that were also half off. They are ornaments, but if you tighten the string, it is the perfect size for the dolls! And to make things better, my engineer husband wants to attempt to make them actually light up. I told him I would be so excited if he can manage that! So we will see. But the pack had 4 lanterns for $4.99 (but they were half off when I bought them). I laughed when I read the warning at the bottom: Decorative use only - Not a toy.

They haven't met Barbie collectors and photographers! These are perfect "toys" for us.
                  What goes under the tree? 

I can't afford to buy a bunch of those Mini Brands Toys capsules. So the idea came to me... why not make some? I had been looking at toy packaging that the kids were ripping open. There was a tiny LEGO logo. So I printed out a box outline that I folded into shape. I painted it blue and cut out LEGO themed things from a magazine that came in the mail. Voila! We have a LEGO set for Christmas. 

But you don't typically put unwrapped gifts under the tree anyhow. So I printed multiple box templates out that were of a variety of sizes. I printed them on recycled paper, but then I cut cardboard from packaging to make it more solid. Then, after they are put together in the box shape, I decorate them. Scraps of wrapping paper can be glued on. 

I found this cute bag template I could print out too. I had some tissue paper that came from the Shadow/Rainbow High Fashion packs that can be stuffed into the top to look like a wrapped gift. Or even wrapped around a tiny jewelry box.

My daughters thought that wreaths were a great thing to have around Christmas. So they made some! You can use pipe cleaners and beads or I found these gift tags that came as miniature wreaths and added some beads with hot glue. I think they came out really well.
I have a few other ideas percolating. Stockings to hang. Maybe a fireplace with a mantle to hang them? And if I'm really adventurous, I might attempt to make them some Christmas hats! But for now, I leave you with some ideas to try on your own. Enjoy!

2 comments: