Wednesday, October 11, 2023

The Making of a Steampunk Chapeau

I love creating new cosplay pieces. Especially when I get to do so in my Steampunk styles. I have a couple extra hats that have been waiting for more, and I decided it was high time to get started. 

My husband has wonderful ideas! When I'm wanting to be creative, but my mind is flooded and I can't seem to find my kick-off, he is usually there with a great idea to jog my abilities. This time was no different. I wanted something unique. More than just a couple gears and some goggles. Steampunk has all kinds of designs though. And one can get lost in the rabbit hole! He said, "What if you did one with a cuckoo clock on the front?"

Well, there is something I don't think I have ever seen! I went searching online, with no luck. I also had difficulty finding tiny clocks. Thankfully, Thingiverse came into play with a 3D printable version that I thought would work just fine. Check out this one!

I printed one and set about to painting. The tiny details are so cool, but made for quite the challenge. Overall, I'm proud of it.
Of course, this one isn't complete without a clock on the front. Not a real one - that would take my husband's engineering skills to accomplish. Instead you could use a charm version. Or maybe a tiny bird... Like this one that I printed at 30% its original file size. I decided I preferred a bird instead. How adorable is this?!

I attached this to the front of the hat. It would be my centerpiece for this one.

I decided to find some feathers for this one. I mean after all, what glorious top hat doesn't have feathers? Who would have thought it would be difficult to find normal-looking feathers though?? I found these at the local Hobby Lobby for about $3. They were in the faux floral department. I trimmed the stem they came with and inserted them through the ribbon, as well as added some glue to keep them from falling out. Now that I have gotten to the end of decorating this particular hat, I have decided that I'm going to go get one more of these for the other side.
As you can see, I've also added in the gears that are ever so loved by Steampunk fans. But let's face it, I'm a lady. I want to show some bling. And what is more classic than pearls? So I took an old string of pearls that was a necklace (clasp broke), and added it to the brim.
It wasn't long enough to go around the entire brim, though. So I sewed on some single beads I had. I added pearls above the little chimney to look like smoke puffing out.
And finally, on the back of the hat, I added this piece that came off a headband we were given. No matter which angle you see me, it will be stylish!

While that one was waiting for more pieces...

I decided to go ahead and start the second hat. I wanted a nautical theme. So back to the 3D printer I went. This one came with goggles attached to it already. So, I knew I would be working around those.

I printed off this tiny pirate ship and set about to giving it a paint job. After all, black on black is hard to see.The ship and masts are a golden brown wood color now!
Then I printed this
ships' wheel with a mermaid figure emerging from it. I painted it brown to be as wood. Then gave her some silver scales scattered on her tail. But Steampunk needs some futuristic aspect, so I wanted a flying pirate ship too. Or something like a Yules Verne Nautilus submarine. So I chose this

Each piece received help staying in place by tacking them down with needle and thread. I would absolutely be devastated if while bowing the head, a piece fell off!

I used some of the glue to hold it steady, then thread and needle to actually tack it into place more firmly. As with the other hat, I needed to add some bling. So I took a pearl headband that didn't fit so well on my head, and attached it to the brim of the hat.
Then I added some gears with a rhinestone sewn in for good measure.
The only thing missing now are the feathers! Well, maybe some tulle at the back. Actually.... yeah, that sounds like a fitting finish. What do you think? Is there anything else I should have added or taken away even? Leave me a comment below! I'd love to get your insight. Until next time!

2 comments: