Friday, October 27, 2023

A Part of That World!

I had a Disney Doorables. An Ariel one. Can't remember when I had gotten it. Maybe at the FiveBelow here. Anyhow! I had the idea for a shadowbox. And then thought it would make a really sweet gift for one of my sisters. I mistakenly thought they liked the Little Mermaid. But, even if I'm not gifting it, I still think it is the perfect project to work on. Once an idea gets going, it kinda snowballs for me! So here is the process. What do you think about it? 

I had this tiny frame. Took off the back. Cleaned it up nicely. And then made a box from foamboard to fit inside.  

Next came the paint. I had a matte teal to make the darker water from. The grey on the bottom, I added with baking soda so that it would have a gritty texture like sand. 

And then lightened the water going up. If I were better with painting, I'd have gone more ombre, but this is the best I can do. Since she is posed as reaching upwards, I had the idea to paint some sunlight coming down through the water.

I had some of these fake plants from a miniature kit my daughter didn't want. So I glued them, a black flat-bottomed marble, and a couple tiny shells to the sea floor.
I'm really liking the finished product! These are aDoorable! And they make such cute displays for the dolls' dolls.

2 comments: