Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Let's Get Cooking With Heinz!

Ripple Street has come through with an offer I couldn't refuse. A cooking party! You know me. I love trying new things. I was so happy to be chosen to work with Heinz Homestyle Gravy. But get this, they are thinking about just any recipe. They want me to make a gumbo! With jar gravy. Now... let's back up on this. I need to explain why this is so big. I'm Cajun. I have been making a recipe that has been passed down in my family for quite a while. And now I'm about to see if theirs is better. Say it isn't so! 

Let's see how it stacks up, shall we? For this party opportunity, I will be making 2 gumbos. The one from our family recipe and the other from Heinz. We will see how my guests to both. And we will see which earns higher praise. 

*Disclaimer: I was sent some things to make this recipe and host the party. I was not otherwise paid or endorsed. All opinions are strictly our own.*

Before you get to cooking with me, however, you need to know what gravy to look for at your local store. I know Walmart carries it.  And I found it at the HEB as well. Look where the sauces are.

Let's get cooking! 

I'll just share the video that my daughter helped me make of the Heinz gumbo. I hope it is clear enough. But just in case, I'll scan in the recipe. Let me know what you think!  

This was the gumbo from the family recipe I have. I have made this countless times before. Only a couple of my kids aren't a fan. Either because it has onions and bell peppers, or because it is served with rice. 

And this is the Heinz gumbo - what do you think just from the pictures?
I had a mixed bag of results on this. My son who doesn't like the bell peppers and onions said it was good. He told me he would eat this all the time if I removed the peppers and onions. My oldest son said it was good and that the bell peppers need to stay as they added to the flavor. He normally doesn't like gravy, but said that in this meal it was great! Another guest said they only kinda liked it and that they thought it had a smoky flavor to it.
There was an elf in my kitchen today! And it truly was all gravy, baby!Let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear about what you think of the recipe.

2 comments: