Monday, April 10, 2023

The Tiny House is Getting a Roof

This weekend, we had a lot less time to work. Mid-week last week my husband learned that his work schedule would change. Again. From Tuesday to Saturday he was switching back in a Monday to Friday frame. Which meant we got in a couple hours Saturday evening, and did what we could on Sunday after church. Wasn't as much as we had hoped. But the roof is at least in progress! 

            My sons and I added plastic to the remaining walls. 

Our first task when my husband came home was to add the plywood at the back of the tiny house. This was to finally close it off. My husband also added the plastic to that. Which was great. Winds have been kicking up and blowing dust into everywhere. 

Putting on the roof boards was a nightmare. First off, we had the angle way too steep.

3/4 of us builders have some level of acrophobia. If you don't know what that means - it is a fear of heights. My sons and I had to be on ladders while my husband balanced precariously on top of the truss pieces.
It was a long and slow process, but it is finally finished! My husband and I hope to never have to redo this roof. We hope to hire someone next time. For now, we are grateful that no one fell (though we had close calls), no one crushed or sliced fingers and all the pieces fit into their proper places. 
In the end, we managed to complete 4 rows of shingles. Which meant an entire pack of the shingles we bought. 

What we learned - don't laugh! 

Okay... we are completely doing this from what we have researched and what I remember from helping my dad with building projects. But doing shingles on the roof - I never really had to do. So after getting to the last piece of shingle we were placing on this round, my husband realized that there was a plastic strip on the back of the shingle that was coming off. He started peeling it and came to find that it covers a sticky strip to help hold the shingle in place as you tack it down! We felt like fools. Could have been working so much smarter, but we naively worked harder this time. NEXT time, we will peel that strip as we continue to work on the roof. 

Because of the steep angle, we decided the best way to do this would be to work bit by bit. We measured and cut the asphalt paper strip (can't remember what that is called). After attaching it, we can put up 4 rows of shingles before needing to put the next strip in place. Working in this pattern will give my husband the grip he needs to keep balance and not come tumbling off the roof.  

That is all for now. If we work only on days when my husband is off, we have about 5 days left to have a fully livable structure for my in-laws by our deadline. However, we are looking at putting in work hours after my husband finishes a work day. Guess we will see how that goes! 

Until next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment