Wednesday, February 22, 2023

The Birthday Clock

I received quite the unique gift for my birthday this year. One that challenges me and required assistance from my husband. It was a wooden clock that had more pieces than I would have thought possible. And instructions that needed instructions to read. But it turned into a fun experience that my husband and I got to enjoy together. Especially since he loves clocks and engineering projects. 


This was the clock pre-build. ROKR Romantic Notes Wall Clock. There are many options to choose from when you run a search. The one I got has a counter weight mechanism. But also comes with the battery-operated clock piece. Lesson to the wise - the counter weight part requires weights to be added by you. They suggest coins. My husband and I laughed at this. Being in America, there are still issues with coin shortages. I'm thinking this product was most likely produced in another country that uses coins a lot more than we do here. But enough of that. Let's check out the clock, shall we? 

First things first, you can find this one on Amazon for about $60. So if you like what you see, get one for yourself! It really is fun. 

My husband kept entertaining me with his jokes and funny faces while we built the clock. I'd poke out the pieces and he put them together.

The kit comes with all the pieces you will need, plus a few extras of the more difficult pieces. Those are in case you pull them out and they break. There is white glue as well to help hold the pieces in place stronger, but we chose to use Crazy Glue to make it stronger. Those gear pieces you see in the above photo actually turn if the weight balance function is working. 

Like I said, they expect you to find something that will fit into the delicate weight capsule. It has to be a certain amount of grams though. We couldn't find anything to make that work, so ours is just for looks now.

As nice as it looks, these colors aren't my style. So I gave it a makeover. A little paint can make the big difference, don't you think? I tried to work in colors that make it really Steampunk style.

Overall, it was pretty cool. It is categorized as a wooden 3D puzzle. The pieces came out pretty easily. I think I had only 2 break, but there were replacements. And others just had a corner chip. Sturdy build once completed, and also includes a mount that you make. 

After I finished painting it, we decided to go ahead and remove the counterweight system. It was useless and just got in the way. I don't think the clock loses any of the aesthetic. What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear from you! Until next time <3

No comments:

Post a Comment