Saturday, December 3, 2022

Every Day Can Be A Cosplay Day! Starting with Elves!

I love to dress up. Doesn't matter what I'm doing. If I'm going out, I like to do so in my own style. 

Why do I enjoy cosplay on regular days? 

Being close to the holidays, I wore a green blouse and black leggings with calf-length black boots. I did up my hair too. My son walked in and said, "Mom, you kinda look like Link!" If you don't know who that is, look up Legend of Zelda. So I decided to pull out my elf ears that my mom had sent me for my costuming collection. Totally worth it! We had to run to the post office. The worker was dead on her feet. Tired. Didn't want to deal with another person. And working completely on her own. You could see it in her eyes. She told one customer ahead of me that she hated Christmas by the time it rolled around because she saw nothing but boxes every day leading up to it! I felt her pain. When I took my turn walking up to her, she barely glanced at me as she asked the standard questions. Poor lady. Then she finally looks at me and shock lights up her face. She forgot what she was saying for a moment. Then she collected her wits and went back on. But she kept staring at me. Finally, she asked me, "I know this is rude, but I gotta know. Are those ears really yours?" I wish I could say yes! I turned my head and moved my hair aside to show her how they just slide over my ear. She started laughing and I told her I was a cosplayer that took pride in showing off these things. So ask away! Maybe I get a lot of funny looks. But if I can make one person smile, or at least have them break out of the monotony, then it is totally worth it! 

I wore that look again a couple weeks later, but with some slight changes. We were once again going to the post office on a weekend. This time, the lady was there, but so was the funny guy. He's the one who suggested the prank of asking a Walmart employee if the chicken legs were from the front or the back of the chicken. Apparently someone has done this and stumped a manager... Anyhow! He called, "Next." I stepped forward. And that's when he glanced up. He grabs the counter, bent over laughing. "Well, hello Mrs. Spock!" He tried to get the lady to look, but she was past the point of even faking a smile. Can't blame the poor woman. But I made one person smile! 

We also went to Walmart afterwards. So many people were staring. But one woman steps up and says, "I love your ears!" Person number two! My day was made.

So here are some of my every day cosplay looks. Feel inspired? Tell me about it! Better yet, message me! I love seeing others' styles. 

Link from Legend of Zelda or Lord of the Rings elf? 

This look can go either way. It just takes the switch in accessories. I usually prefer to wear my leggings. I find they are easier on my back than jeans are. The flexible material adjusts better than denim. So I wore black leggings. I also chose to wear the black boots. If I was going more Link, I'd wear my brown boots. My mom found 2 pairs a long while back. By Dream Pairs on Amazon. They have lasted about 2 years now, I think? Love them! Starting to wear the heels out, but excellent boots at affordable prices. 

For the top, I have this green shirt that I wear over a longer white tank top. I don't like wearing the leggings without my shirt covering my rear a bit. The green one is dark. From East 5th. I love hunter green. I've been looking for clothing with this and other colors to add variety to my wardrobe. But this green works great for the woodland creatures - elves - that I love so much! The sides have details to help show I do still have curves. Having gained as much weight as I have has been hard on me, mind-wise. I don't often feel as beautiful as I wish. It was cold, so I added the long great sweater. Grey is just another color that fits the themes. My daughter says that when the wind catches it, it looks like I have a cape on. 

That is the main part of the look. Just simple, yet effective. The true cosplay part comes from the accessories. If I want to go elf, I need my ears!

My mom had sent me a big bag with multiple types of elf ears that she got from Amazon. I like these, as they just hang onto the ear. No glues or other adhesives. However, some are too loose. And with my glasses, I do have to tuck the ears under the glasses over my own ears to stay on properly for longer periods of time. But they look good, no? 

Leather bracelets like this, or even bracers are a favorite of mine. I LOVE Wonder Woman. This was another gift from my mom that has been included in so many of my looks. 
I wear this Evenstar necklace when I want to be Arwen from Lord of the Rings. The day I dress like Link, I was wearing this necklace that I got from a friend who sold Paparazzi jewelry.
I would love to expand to somehow do a Tauriel version. It will take some thinking though. My mother recently sent me a long, dark green top that I might modify to look like this. 

 https://images.hdqwalls.com/download/1/tauriel-in-hobbit-qhd-2160x3840.jpg 

So this is just one look I've created for my everyday cosplay! Two characters, in the Elven realm! I need to work on a couple more. Like the every day version of Harley Quinn I want to do based on a single necklace I got... Yes, sometimes my ideas stem from a single item! 

Not all my styles are based on a character though. Some are just things that I can feel good in. I haven't been able to accept my current size. I still can't see myself as beautiful, but I can look generally 'good' in my own eyes when I pair things up just right. Like this one for colder days.
                        I enjoyed this one as it also matched my Mini Me doll.
What do you think? What character would you create an every day cosplay for?

No comments:

Post a Comment