Monday, August 22, 2022

Bonding Over Barbie

I have never been the best at playing Barbies with others. I would most often go with a friend to a church to play while her mother worked as the secretary. But she would often tell me what my dolls were supposed to do or say. For the sake of keeping the peace, I would sometimes follow along. Other times I just had to come up with the better idea for our playing. Especially when she wanted the dolls to play "dirty", if you know what I mean. 

Fast forward to now. I have two little girls who love playing with their dolls. And to listen to them, they are often telling each other what to do. Instead of just reacting to the other player. So when they ask me to jump in... I usually do not want to. 

During the pandemic, however, I found something fun that makes playing with them easier to handle. Grandma Gets Real and My Froggy Stuff gave me the inspiration. Oh and Bella_Belladoll! They are my favorites by far. I have gotten ideas for making doll accessories, clothing and furniture without having to pay a ton of money. As well as ideas for posing and taking photos of the dolls. This is something the girls have been enjoying doing with me. 

We now take our dolls around town. The library and parks are a favorite for us all. The local library in the town we lived in was having a summer reading program when we took these. As well as a Find the Mermaid Tails treasure hunt. You find a tail, you win a prize! The last time we went, the girls' both found a tail and we couldn't help but take some quick pictures.

We pretend together with our respective dolls, and I don't have to go crazy with someone trying to tell me how to play! I'd call that a Mom win for sure.

Bonus part is that we (older daughter and I) are also both learning to take better photos. She has helped me take pictures when I was busy with other things.

We even had fun having the Barbies pack for our move! After all, not all the dolls should move in the boxes. We had to save out a couple dolls and props for the photos to come before the move, during the move, and as we entered the new home. It just adds to the adventure for us girls. So our dolls had quite the discussion on what to pack away and what to put in our suitcases to take in the car with us. We were so excited about making the trip! 

However, the best part has been collaborating with my girls. They are so full of ideas. We talk about what would be considered important in our pretend houses. Then Mom gets to try to recreate those things. I'm not always successful at it. But I like to think I do pretty good. My youngest made my day recently when she ran up to give me a hug and said," Thank you for being such a good Mommy!" It really is the little things. (Get it? Little, as in the dolls....) 

Your turn! Tell me what you think every dollhouse needs. I can't wait to get some new ideas. Drop a comment below. And who knows? I might actually build it! 

4 comments:

  1. BEDS. I want to make a queen bed. I took a 3 story dollhouse I got at a thrift store and am turning it into a mall with a rooftop resturant on the top. We started collecting cause you make it look fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big bed? I'm on it! I'll see what I can design and share with you.

      Delete
  2. Just wide enough for ken and girl. and only long enough for both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an idea for one. Hope to be making a tutorial soon. I've been watching videos on it.

      Delete