Monday, November 1, 2021

Prepping for Wintergeddon 2: Heating and Cooking Without Power

Last winter, our home was without power for a little under a week. We had snow outside and ice inside. Windows are single-paned, unfortunately. Since we rent, there isn't much we can do. We ended up having to go stay at my in-laws home to ride it out. We have been thinking about what that could mean for us if we have to go through that again in the upcoming winter months. From what we have read and heard, it sounds like they are predicting that this will be the worst winter in 7 years. Texas grid can't handle "rolling blackouts" as they tried last year. So what do we do? We started doing some research. My mom even helped! She sent several great videos that have taught me a thing or two about how to handle keeping my family warm without power, as well as cooking without power. I thought I might share some in case you are wondering where to start. Each of us has needs that vary from each other. So keep that in mind. What works in one case, might not work in another. 

Rocket Stove: 

I'd never heard of this concept. But it is pretty cool! Simple, effective and cheap. However, it does mean you can only have this outside. Last winter, I did not like being outdoors for long. It was way too cold and way too hard on my arthritic joints. But for cooking quickly, I think it would work perfectly. 

One room for all:

If the power goes out, my goal is to get all 4 children bunking in the living room. Far as I can tell, that is the room that can hold the most heat, fit them all, and have room to spare for them to play or do school in. There is also the fire place that we are stocking wood for. Little by little, we have been investing in wood and the storage of it. We bought a rack and some wood that we cover snugly with a tarp. I will be putting rolled up materials at door bases and windowsills. This should help with insulating better against the cold. Blankets will line the floor in the living room. For them - it will be like a camp out! Or maybe a slumber party... Either way, I'll do what I can to make it fun.

Clay pots and tealight candles:

I had heard of this before. But actually seeing it in action made a difference in my belief on how well it might work. This would do nicely for heating the room that I plan to have the kiddos bunk in. I could easily set it up on the table in the dining room, which is attached to the living room. It should provide plenty of heat to keep us going. 

 
Or this method:

10 ways according to a prepper:

This guy seems to know his stuff. I plan to check out more of his videos to see what other ideas he has. He gave great tips that could be helpful for different situations. 

Alcohol and toilet paper:

This is one I would never have thought of. Especially when we know about that shortage we had at the start of the pandemic age. However, I include it as it is unique and can be stored away for an indefinite time.

What else do you think I am missing? I'd love to hear from you. Are you prepping too?

2 comments:

  1. Also look up videos on depression era. Lots of good stuff about shortages and things. Make it a school project. Have kids look up videos. Write up a plan of their own if they were in charge

    ReplyDelete