Monday, May 31, 2021

Living As A Miniature Nerd

I started following Grandma Gets Real on Instagram and Facebook. She has an amazing hobby! Photographing and collecting Barbie dolls in real life ways. I used to laugh and say that I wanted an Elf on the Shelf to goof off with around the house. But then I saw Grandma Gets Real and the wheels really started turning. 

Even Wonder Woman does glamor shots.

I've been making Barbie accessories for my girls. Books, furniture, dresses, crowns, necklaces - anything I can get an idea for online. Pinterest and YouTube videos can be treasure troves! I love seeing what others have done and trying my hand at recreating them with my own flairs. 

                           I told you, Diana. Amazon women can't buy shoes from the Barbie stores.

I'm still in my infancy as far as creating realistic photos, but I'm working on it. I'm learning the right techniques. While figuring out our new camera. But I thought I'd share the new Instagram account I've set up as well as some of the photos I've been taking. Mine centers on the Nerd style. 

                                   Link did it again. Left his fairy in a bottle, just lying around.

I created things, using other things. Take this entertainment center, for instance. It came from parts of wood from a Dollar Tree plane kit. 

                                                       This ^ came from that...

Her drill was the plug in part of the headphones cord. And those speakers (pink things) were earpieces from the headphones. I jazzed them up with a little nail polish. 

These were tiny plates that were chipped and yellow (think yellow from the 70's). I spray painted them white and then used rub on transfer stickers to doll them up elegantly.


If I ever find more rub on decals, I totally plan to get more! These are amazing. Super easy to use, but all kinds of beautiful. I'd love to see if there are other kinds. 

I've also started collecting the mini brands from Zuru. They are replicas in miniature of the actual brands we buy in stores! The perfect size for your dolls needs. I can't wait to start putting these kinds of things in the photos. Maybe making my favorite recipes... They come in mini toy brands too. I give second duplicates to my daughters for their Barbies. But out of 4 balls, I've only had 1 item be a duplicate so far. And only 1 defective item.


I just love surprises! 

What do you think? Did you love playing with Barbies when you were growing up? Do you ever wish your life could be duplicated in Barbie world? I used to wish I could be her size or smaller and see the world from that angle. Like in the movie The Secret World of Arietty. As a Borrower, where 1 basil leaf can be used for a years worth of meals. Where a stick pin can be a sword. 

        Tall girl problems include getting shorted when you can't test it out before purchasing.

My photos will always include characters that fit my nerdy joys. Star Trek, Star Wars, Lara Croft from Tomb Raider, Wonder Woman, and even Phantom of the Opera. I can't wait to expand out. Since I haven't been able to cosplay, I'm planning to do it through my dolls.

                                                     Reporting to Captain James T. Kirk!

No comments:

Post a Comment