Saturday, June 27, 2020

A Reminder to be the Light

In one of our recent morning devotions, I read Ephesians 5:8 - For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light. My husband and I had just spoken of the dark thoughts that plagued our minds. The feelings of being alone, of being distanced from others we loved, of emotional divides. As Christians, especially in the current world pandemic and racism mindsets of today, we may find ourselves getting lost in the darkness. Hatred and anger are flowing freely. The verse that comes to mind most often is John 13:35 - By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. It is usually included with discussion of this verse: Matthew 24:12 - And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

Following your faith and beliefs is never easy. The world is so full of temptations that can be so alluring. The path that we should take is more difficult than the path we shouldn't. It is so much easier to give in to your anger, join the crowd and scream out all the injustices. Isn't it? It is so much easier to hold a grudge and stay angry. To convince yourself that the other side is responsible for your pain and therefore responsible for fixing the gap. So easy to convince yourself that you are in the right and standing righteous, no matter the subject. But are we really? Or are we hypocrites holding on to the  veil that shows us as "holier than thou".

I have been praying and trying so hard to be a light in the midst of the darkness. To show love to all I come in contact with. I want to be a light in everyone's life, especially right now. I can't do much. Or maybe I just don't know what to do. But I try. I have the desire for it. And yet, I have my dark moments. Moments when my cynical side comes looking for trouble.
In recent months, I have taken a good look at the people I thought I was close to. Turns out, I have 4 people I know I can tell anything to and genuinely be myself with. Everyone else, I have come to feel the need to walk on eggshells with. Not because I don't want to be open with them, but because I feel the need to keep the peace with them. For someone as social as I used to be, it has been difficult to adjust to. Nevertheless, an adjustment has to be made. A new mask has emerged. Flashbacks of painful moments come to mind when certain people are mentioned. Uncalled for as they are, I can't seem to fight them. Through it all, I have to keep reminding myself to be the light in their lives. Be encouraging. Be pleasant. Show them Christ's love. I remind myself of this verse in 1 Corinthians 3:18 - Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. I don't want to forget that we always feel we are wise in our own eyes. But that "wisdom" often comes with pride.
So here is my plea to you all. Can you join me in showing others love? Can you be genuine enough to be pleasant to even those that you don't feel comfortable with? Can you light up your bubble of the world? I believe we each have a 3 foot bubble - to keep people from getting into our personal space as well as to inhabit. Whoever comes closest to that 3 foot bubble, let us make an effort to be polite and courteous at all times. No matter their personal beliefs, their political views, their race or gender. Lets emulate the love of Jesus and by doing so, we will start seeing more glimmers of hope and love.

5 comments:

  1. This is a very encouraging and spiritual read that touches my heart. You are right, we should forget to be a light for ourselves, and for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your article! I can so relate with it. I was once very open to everyone, until I found out that there is also danger in doing so. I have changed, and I did not like it. My environment plays a huge part in the darkness that I have felt, and taking a leap of faith has liberated me. I can now feel God's light shining through me. I guess, I have to go through the darkness, to appreciate the light coming from our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your article! I can so relate with it. I was once very open to everyone, until I found out that there is also danger in doing so. I have changed, and I did not like it. My environment plays a huge part in the darkness that I have felt, and taking a leap of faith has liberated me. I can now feel God's light shining through me. I guess, I have to go through the darkness, to appreciate the light coming from our Lord.

    ReplyDelete