Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Mayberry Miniature Coffee Shop Building

I've been given 2 more 1/24 scale buildings to put together. At first, my daughter wanted to help. But then it became all my own project. At least for the first building, which is an over-crowded coffee shop. Check out the progress and completed project! 

This was a miniature kit bought at Hobby Lobby. It is the DIY Dollhouse Miniature Coffee House set from Mayberry Street. This particular one was clearanced, so you might not find it on the shelf at your local store anymore. However, I found the exact same one on Temu. Actually, there was more than one listing for it. Not having a Temu experience, I'm not sure if they list multiple times when one is on a temporary sale maybe? So HERE is the other listing I saw.

I'm not usually a huge fan of sets with such tiny proportions, but they can have some fun aspects to them. And of course, my daughter likes having them displayed on a shelf in her room. It is starting to look like a mini city scene in there. 

The Mayberry kits are unique and beautiful if you like miniatures. However, they are also difficult to put together. Not just for the tiny features, though that certainly plays a roll. They are also difficult because of the instructions. Which are in picture form. Pictures with the item numbers near to show you what piece is where. Each kit comes with paper items that have to be cut and shaped into the details for the building. They have scissors included to help you. There are the glues for paper and for the plastics, a ruler, maybe an exacto knife, the solid wood pieces and usually some beads. There is a page with all the included parts and an instruction manual that is supposed to walk you through step-by-step.

My husband had to help me with some of the more confusing pieces. He likes to make jokes while we work. Like here, when pretending to use some of the pieces like chopsticks! 

I had to do this construction in segments. Some of the walls needed to fully dry so they wouldn't move around while I was adding other things. I think this also works to slow your pace and prolong your crafting time.

This kit grew on me as I progressed through it. Though I think some of it was too 'busy' and knew that if I kept it for myself, I was going to have to give it a twist to save my own sanity.

This little pastry cabinet was adorable. While I was putting together the main shelves, my husband helped me put together the donuts that went in it. I ended up gluing it into its corner to prevent it from falling out during movement.
Helpful hint: Don't be afraid to start several pieces and let the glue dry while doing other things. As Mom, I have plenty of other tasks to work on while this process is happening in the background.
My daughter asked me not to glue everything as I was working through it. She said she wanted to be able to move things and play with it. Here is where I must note that this is NOT meant to be played with. It is something to put together and then put on a shelf. Like a collectible that you build yourself. But when you have kids, they want everything to be a toy that can be enjoyed beyond visually.
There were times I was afraid I would have to hold a piece in place while the glue dried. But my husband would come by with this neat idea that never occurred to me. Voila! Hands free, time free. I love his engineering mind.
I was quite happy to have finally gotten the second floor in place. This one I did have to hold for a few minutes to let the glue set enough. I suppose I could have laid it on its back to set better, but I had a bunch of stuff that I had no where to put... so... yeah. The doors were awkward. I get that they are supposed to be the fold open kind, but attaching them took some finesse.
Now, we can see the final details. I decided that I would build the last piece of furniture and install the sign. My husband hung the lights. But any more plants or paper details will fall on my daughter to decide if she wants them or not. And if she does, she has to make them herself. 

And the finished project is...

Well, here we are! What do you think? Is this the kind of coffee shop you want to stop in and grab a cup from? Maybe even take your friend with you?
Well, I'll soon begin the next one. It has more rooms! I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments: