Friday, July 28, 2023

Expanding My MiniVerse

For those of you who know doll speak, you know that my miniverse is growing. For those of you who don't understand that, it simply means that I'm creating more realistic items for the dolls to live out my life in miniature. Or something like that.

The kids have been gone for what feels like absolutely FOREVER! I can't tell you how much I have missed them. After all, this house is way too quiet. Something I don't particularly enjoy. So I do one of a few things to pass the time. I nap. Yes, I find that I sleep better in small increments than I do overnight. Or I read. I managed to keep up with my kids in the summer reading program, hitting the 200% benchmark which was 3,000 logged minutes of reading in just over a months time. So there is that! 

But then there is one more thing I have been doing while they were away. And that is crafting. I still have things in the works, but this is just what has been completed since they left. Enjoy!

Vending machine for Barbie

My son received a couple of these toys from the Fortnite line. They came in packaging that looked very much like a vending machine. I kept them thinking that eventually I'd put them to use and make them look like doll vending machines. And now I have! I cut out the back and one side. They were too damaged to stand up. I then cut cardboard in the same shapes they were to fill in the holes. I covered both of those with scrapbook paper. I chose to make them colorful and fun. Then I found a picture online of a vending machines products, resized it, printed it and glued it onto the back board. I covered up some of the box front that had wording on it to make it look more like buttons of a sort. Once all the pieces were taped together, you have a cool vending machine that is perfect for Barbie! 

Barbie needs movies

Barbie is real popular right now with her new movie in theaters. While that isn't the kind of Barbie I'm into, my dolls are still getting some attention from me. I love making things that mimic something in my real life for the dolls. Both mine, and for my daughters. So while I'm trying to figure out the doll room I'm working on, I had the thought of needing some movies. I have 2 media shelves that are nearly completely full in real life. And actually... I need a third! But the dolls had none. Didn't seem right. So I created a sheet of DVD covers for lots of movies that we have and love.

Yes, I used actual DVD covers to create my page with. I'm a fan of realistic looking things in miniature! After getting them to the size I wanted, I printed and cut them out. I found that leaving a slight flap on one side helped hold them in place better. 

Then I cut a piece of sheet foam in the correct size to fit inside. This gave it a better shape like a real DVD case. Once that is in place, I took a permanent marker to the top, side and bottom to black them out like a real case would be. The last part is to cover it with a piece of tape to give it that shiny look. 

Voila! Dolls with DVD's to watch. Best way to pass time in this summer heat.

               Baby crib - or Grogu bassinet? 

I have a baby for the Barbie family. Because why not? And I came to realize that it had no crib. No bassinet. No bed. Well, that wouldn't do. So I went to Thingiverse.com and did some searching. That is where I found the cutest idea for a baby bed. My dolls are nerds like me. I mean, did you not see the Mario dress she was wearing in the above photos?! So it stands to reason that so will the baby room be. I printed the Baby Yoda bassinet for my little one. And I think it came out adorable!
The overhanging piece is actually glow-in-the-dark blue. So a bonus there. If you attempt the same, you need to resize the original. I printed at 75% by resizing in Cura. I suppose making it a little bigger wouldn't hurt though. I even made the pillow from a sock with the bounty hunter mask all over it! I love it! Now I just need a blanket...

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of blockbusters for Barbie Cool ideas

    ReplyDelete