Monday, April 24, 2023

From Outside to Indoors, the Transition in Work on the Tiny House Begins!

Every house needs sturdy walls. With a layer outside and a layer inside. We had to complete those outer walls before moving inside to do the inner layers. 

Monday we finished the bulk of the large side wall. My in-laws sent us a jigsaw, and let me tell you right now - it is amazing! Made the intricate cutting so much quicker and easier. We were also blessed that the rain that fell was light. Otherwise it could have been bad for the roofing that was still exposed. It would have made the yard too muddy to be working in. But! I'm glad for the light rain. We had less dust blowing into our eyes this time around.

Tuesday was when we hung the siding on the front triangle of the building. As much as possible, we are trying to line up the patterns, but at this point, we are also just wanting to get it done quickly.

Wednesday was the day we finally finished the roof! I really don't ever want to have to do roofing again. We put the in last shingles as well as the ridge caps pieces. It isn't entirely uniform, but we went with what we had and it works just as well. Besides, how often is someone going to be looking up here. Except the birds of course.... They loved watching us build for some reason. I think they were checking out the new surface they planned to drop a load on. Devious creatures that they are.

Thursday we finished the back triangle part of the siding and one of the upper pieces along a side wall. Not much, but it was progress!

Friday we started putting in the wiring for electricity.

We need to install 2 light switches, 4 electrical outlets and 3 light fixtures. While my husband is doing electrical work (he is that kind of engineer after all), I had begun painting the boards black that will be the rafters along the ceiling.
Why black? It was the color I had lots of after painting the galaxy on our game room ceiling. Besides, my hope is to incorporate an eventual steampunk theme in the tiny house. Black rafters might just be perfect for the idea I have....

Saturday we had to take a break to run errands. But as soon as we could, we were back to work. At least until the dust storm came in.

I had just moved wood and swept the dust away from the porch. But within an hour, it had come back with a vengeance. And then some! Thank God we were able to finish putting up all the siding around the building.
I think God had been giving us mild weather until we accomplished this part. Why do I think that? Because after the dust storm, we had rain come down heavy. And woke up to a hearty cold on Sunday morning! 

While we cut the pieces for the siding, I started collecting the little cutouts from it. I told my husband that I have an idea of how to decorate my Little Free Library that we plan to build next. So he started cutting them to look more like rounded doors! But I'll share more on that with you when I finally get to build it.

 

Sunday was our last day of more than a couple hours to get things done. We have to be finished by this upcoming Wednesday. My husband and I installed the wiring from the main house to the tiny house. Not so easy as the photos might lead you to believe. While he dug a trench, I painted rafters. Then together we had to pull the cables through a tubing that would protect them underground. 

Helpful Hint: Want to know a great tip on this? It involves lubricant. Yes, lube. We happened to have some on hand. Never use the stuff though. If you pour some down in the tubing, the cables typically run in a lot smoother. We didn't do this initially, so I got one of those hardcore workouts. You know the one. Looks like someone playing jump rope in a squatting position by themselves. I had to shake the tubing while my husband shoved the wiring in. Once we added the lube though, it started going a lot smoother!

It was such a cold day, we lit up the fire pit. It was so nice. But it made me wish we had hot dogs and marshmallows... 

So thankful we made it that far. We have the wiring inside going to each electrical box, with an additional one that we hope will be hooked up to an air conditioning unit eventually. We also hung most of the rafters. I have to go back and finish painting them during the day. We were scheduled to get a delivery of sheet rock on today, but rain prevented that. Lord willing, tomorrow! This little home is going to start looking like one on the inside! See you in the next update.

No comments:

Post a Comment