Monday, June 13, 2022

Israel Favorites: Architecture Beauty

One thing I love, no matter where I go, is seeing variations in architecture. I prefer older buildings as they often have far more character than that of the newer ones. Styles change over the years. Now, most use glass or metal. Once upon a time, they relied on carved stones. Fascinates me every time. In Israel, they will reuse buildings that are hundreds of years old. Strip them down to the bones and give them a modern update. But you still see the old arches and rounded windows. They still cling to those older styles. I really did enjoy walking about the towns and seeing so many of these buildings. Glass can be nice and shiny, but it is cold. Metal heats up in the sun. And we learned that over there, metal is a symbol of war. So they won't use it for buildings. They stick with wood and stone. I can appreciate that. So here are just a few of the places that caught my eye and tickled my fancy, if you will. Enjoy!

This ancient synagogue was built next to the site of Peter's home. It is now a part of a holy site that the Catholics have turned into a tourist destination as well as built a church over Peter's home. The stones still show intricate carving. It would have stood 2 stories high, however, the upper floor has long since fallen away. It was rather massive. Where I'm standing in this photo is actually off to the side of the main room. 

This floor was covered by a mosaic that looks as though it was made with childish drawings. The story goes that a town was poor, yet wanted to spruce up their synagogue. So they hired someone who was not yet a master at the art of mosaics. This guy was cheap, but also not very good at what he did.

You want to see something amazing? Sometimes you need to look up. Some of these remains included ancient Roman archways. Talk about being master builders, they could put stones in arches that fit like a glove and required no glue-like substance to hold them together.
I saw this, but can't remember exactly what it was. I believe it to be another church as the city, no, all of Israel, has many. Towers and spires have always had a special place in my heart when it comes to buildings. Domed roofs and rounded arch windows were dreams for my future home. No castle in my future that I know of, but I love to check them and cathedrals out when I get the chance.
Have I told you how cold I was in Israel? Always triple check the weather before you go. Don't assume it will be as your friends from the tour say it usually is. Weather has been crazy worldwide, and Israel was no different. The weather was nothing like they normally get. So when we first started the tour, I was wearing 3-4 layers of clothing! And still freezing! But I did enjoy the view on this mount that looks towards the Temple Mount.
Can't tell you what this was or where, but I loved the shape. All in stone, but given character nonetheless.
Not all the places we visited with buildings were above ground. Like this one that was excavated underground near the Temple Mount's Western Wall.
So many places have religious signs and symbols. From the Byzantine to the Crusaders to the Christians and Catholics. They mark places throughout the trip.
Driving along a highway, we passed this one. It was 4 tower-like buildings connected by bridgeways!
I think this idea should be standard in apartments in America! Retractable awnings over the balconies.
This unusual building is a part of the museum that is dedicated to the Dead Sea Scrolls. It is meant to look like the top of the jar that the scrolls were found in.
This was when we visited the Temple Mount. Quite the ornate design, though not nearly so colorful as the mosque up there.
This was a mosque, I believe. What you see in the photo is what they build in their mosques to show which direction to pray in. Towards Mecca.
Not everything was so beautiful as the carvings and arches, however. There are a great deal of ruins to be seen. Take this area, for instance. It was devastated by earthquake. So much so, that the entire city was abandoned. Still, the main road is distinguishable and there are still pillars that stand along it. It marks where the ancient trade road would have been, to bring wealth to the city.

It was mesmerizing! So many pretty places to visit, so little time to do so.

2 comments:

  1. It is facenating how buildings made a o long ago are still up today. Especially in a war torn area that has had fighting for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. They have beautiful designs, hand carved aspects and are so much stronger than what we build now.

      Delete