Monday, April 19, 2021

Taking a Step Back In Time At the Waxahachie Scarborough Renaissance Festival!

I absolutely love Renaissance festivals! This is my second time going to one. It is hosted in Waxahachie (Texas). Fun for the whole family. My husband and I took the kiddos. You can too! Every weekend through May 31st. The Scarborough Renaissance Festival is a must!

*Disclaimer: I was granted free entry passes to enjoy a day at the festival with my family through my association with US Family Guide. I was not otherwise paid or endorsed. All opinions expressed are strictly my own.*


Each weekend has its own thrills.

Festivals are such a great experience. There is food, music, shows, vendors - everything you need to have a good time.

This one in particular is geared for families. Before going, I like to check out their options. To know ahead of time which things I want to see and do. What don't I want to miss? Each weekend has a theme with specials running. The first weekend, for example, was kids free weekend. The weekend we went, second, was all about shopping! Artisan's Showcase is what they called it. I was worried when I realized I picked our weekend for this one. The themes each come with special activities. And I was thinking we wouldn't enjoy it as much as the others. The Live the Fantasy & Spring Celebration, Celebrating Chivalry, and Legend of the Seas were all ones I'd love to have been a part of. I even appreciate that they have Deaf Day on May 15th! Shows are signed for them. Way to go on exclusivity! But it worked out great. We brought our receipts in and earned 2 free tickets to go back! So excited. We are planning to try to go back for a date. Just us adults. I totally plan to cosplay on this next trip there. Before we even exited the SUV, we could see others in costume heading to the festival. I regretted not wearing my own!

As you will see in the interview I had with the Marketing Director, Helaine, there is something for every person.

No matter when you go. And you can't get through everything in one day. Believe me, we tried! It's impossible.

Some events are pre-scheduled to happen every day of each weekend. You can get the full schedule HERE. My husband would have loved the Historic Weapons Demo. Sadly, we arrived too late the first time we went. I was wanting to see the Fire Whip Show. Totally worth going to! This guy was on fire! Okay, his whips were!

And who doesn't like the Cannon Drill? There are lots of other shows for those who love music too. Next time we want to see the Glassblower show too.

Time for FUN! 

               Jousting is something we have always wanted to see.

We missed out on the Medieval Times show last year, due to the pandemic. So this year, we wanted to see it at the festival. I highly suggest you go and get your place early. Kiddos couldn't see by the time we got there from the heavy crowd around the arena. My daughters wouldn't be able to resist seeing a mermaid in the Mermaid Lagoon.
              Or how about all of them being knighted by Their Majesties!
I was impressed by the Games they had to offer. My husband and I are talking about knife and axe throwing next time we go. My son was fun to watch in the barrel ride.

Food to impress each palate. 

Doesn't matter what kind of food appeals to you. There is such a wonderful variety that each and every person should find something to be delighted by! The kids chose slices of pizza that were well seasoned.

 
My absolute favorite of the day was the peanut butter and chocolate crepe!

         Mmmm it was delicious. The kids loved the caramel apples.

These fruit smoothies were amazing. More like slushies. We tried the strawberry and the Dreamcicle (orange) versions.

My favorite was definitely the orange. My husband modeled off how good they are!

Another thing to try came from the Far East Stir Fry kitchen. This serving runs $6.
And the turkey legs on a stick?? Huge! Although the sausage on a stick was delicious too.

Don't forget to shop!

Finally, you can't leave without getting a souvenir. They have shops and vendors of all kinds. There is something for every age to appreciate. So don't forget to take a memento with you. I grabbed these two pins for my pin collection for just $1 each.

My absolute favorite shop was the Glass Dragon. You want to talk about amazing skills, this guy has them!

You can watch him work, and then purchase pieces that will blow the minds of everyone who sees them. We bought a beautiful glass sword with dragon claw necklace. It comes with a warranty. If it were to get broken, we could bring it back and he will fix it!

We bought a training bow as well. This too comes with a lifetime warranty from it's maker. Before I get any comments - I know I'm not holding it correctly! I simply wanted to show it off and wasn't thinking about form.

My husband says this is the gangsta version of archery...

I saw this and knew we had to get it for my husband. As you can see, he likes to goof around with it!

They have candle makers, word workers, blacksmiths - you name it, they most likely have the artisan to make it there. Check out the tiny pewter treasure chest that is the same size as my Minecraft figures! My little Drowned is the guardian of its secrets.

I appreciate their reactions to pandemic conditions. They have these handwashing stations set up everywhere.

Water fountains have Covid Cautious Cups to use too and they are constantly cleaning the bathrooms. Cleanest public restrooms I've seen in a long while. All the employees we came across, no matter the job, were funny and friendly. I didn't see a single frown anywhere!
If you go, let me know what you like best!

2 comments:

  1. What a fun family day! You all look so happy. Do your kids keep like a journal with all these memories in them? What they learn and what they enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was! And while I wish they would, they don't like to. So I write letters and keep pictures from time to time in journals for them.

      Delete