Saturday, March 28, 2020

Green Spring Party Time!

We have all heard the term 'Spring Cleaning'. It is that time of year when spring comes around and we feel the need to clean out our homes. There are many origin stories of why we do this, but my favorite is the simplest one. All winter, we are mostly kept indoors due to dreary weather (even in the south). So when the sun comes shining and bright, and the temperatures turn perfect enough for opening windows, we get busy. Cleaning out the dullness with the dust, making everything glimmer with hope of a renewed year! But we need to be careful of what we use for this task. Not all cleaners are equal - or safe for that matter. Which is why I'm happy to introduce you to Rebel Green and EarthKind
*Disclaimer: I was sent these products free of charge in exchange for hosting a party and writing a review. I was not otherwise paid or endorsed. All opinions are strictly my own.*


How clean do you go?

I like to think that I keep my house clean enough all year around. That I don't slack and let things go. That's what I like to think. But truth be told, I have my times when this is not so. SHOCKING, I know. But even though I'm OCD and a neat freak, winter is a hard time for me. I get cold easily, which causes the arthritis in my back and legs to flare up. So I prefer to spend my days wrapped in a fleece blanket, sitting on a heating pad, near a fireplace that is burning well. Not washing dishes and vacuuming floors. 

But we all know that with the changing seasons there are illnesses (take the Covid-19, for example) and plenty of dust to clean away. So when spring-like weather gets close enough, I spring into action. (Pun totally intended.) I even enlist my kids to help. Dusting rags (or old socks with holes in them) get passed out. Everyone finds a spot to dust. I get those fan blades wiped down. Sometimes they help wipe the countertops too. The three oldest children even do their own laundry. This is a must for parents who want their kids to know how to care for themselves and be independent. But what about that microwave and the baseboards? Or how about pest control? Spring brings warmer weather, it's true, but then the bugs start coming out again. And then inside if you live in an old, leaky house.

However, there is a beware attached. 

Not all cleaners are safe for children to handle. Take bleach, for instance. The fumes can be quite toxic. Sure, it can destroy all traces of DNA and leave something clean enough to eat off of, but it can be dangerous as well. So how can we get our kids involved without putting them in harms way? We need products that clean, but are safe. Something green is usually the way to go. Which is where Rebel Green and EarthKind come in. These are family friendly products! Rebel Green is all around the house products while EarthKind is the environmentally safe pest control options. 
Both of these companies are woman owned. Both want to be as organic as possible. Both are dedicated to being safe for family, pets and the earth. 

Rebel Green
Let's talk about Rebel Green first. They use functional essential oils to create the scents. Their products range from produce cleaners to household cleaning. Fresh produce often comes with dirt, pesticides, waxes, fungicides and hand oils - just for starters. Did you catch the hand oils part? Yep, 20-30 hands touched your apple before you did at the grocery store. Ever stop to think about whether those hands were clean? Washing these things away allows us to truly enjoy the natural flavors fully, without the worry of also catching something. The household products are without any toxic chemicals that can be dangerous to people and the planet. No parabens, phosphates, petrochemicals, synthetic perfumes, dyes, chlorine, ammonia or chemical brighteners. So many of these things are toxic to our skin and health. And definitely not helping the planet either. It is believed that phosphates actually dry out your skin. With us having to wash hands so much, we need things that won't dry us out. Their hand soap is perfectly balanced to clean our hands while keeping them moisturized at the same time. However, if you feel that isn't enough, they also have a cream! My daughter has been helping me by keeping the microwave clean. I still remember the first time she did it by grabbing a spray bottle that I had put bleach in for mold spraying... Talk about the fumes when I opened the microwave later! I thought it would take days to air out and be usable again. But now, she uses the Rebel Green All Purpose spray. And it smells so good every time! I have the Lavender Grapefruit scent. Calming while cleaning! Then I have the laundry detergent. It is 3 times concentrated, so I only need an ounce to do a load. And they have so many options. Like baby, delicates and even a sports wear one.
Their desire is to stay local. I love their philosophy of getting everything made here in the USA. Why have manufacturing exported to another country, just to have to buy their "products a one way plane ticket back to the States". This is smart business thinking. Not just for them, but for our local economy as well. They save money on shipping, lower costs and offer more jobs here. 


EarthKind
Now we come to EarthKind. They are committed to providing pest control options that are safe for everyone. They work with nature, not against. Harmony, not harm! Before checking out their products, I would kill any bug that comes inside. However, these products are pouches that are designed to repel the little critters without the use of poison. Works for me. I usually get my husband to kill the spiders or roaches. I get bugged out for the rest of the day/night. So, win-win! The founder and creator of EarthKind started out by creating the Stay Away Rodent product. She wanted to keep mice away, without having to use poison and kill them.
As she pointed out, everything is a part of the ecosystem. They all play a part. So in order to maintain the balance, you need to keep them in their place by repelling them from yours. The little pouches can be kept in a cute container to keep them discreet. 

I also like the nifty little mosquito spray. It is perfect for pockets, purses and bags.

Set up your cleaning routine!

I printed out checklists to help me keep focused. There are daily ones, nightly ones, weekly and monthly ones. This website has a great grouping that is perfect, no matter what kind of experience you have. I use lists to keep me focused and on track. Now is the time to really get dedicated. This corona virus has changed how we think of being clean. Touching our faces, touching commonly used items and how we wash our hands has come front and center to everyone's attention. Sickness prevention starts with the home. Besides the rules that have been passed down, we need to secure our homes first. So check them out! And let me know what your favorite chore is in the comments below. If you don't have a favorite (don't like cleaning?) then tell me your least favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment