Thursday, October 11, 2018

Low Sodium Spaghetti and Alfredo Sauce

We don't eat spaghetti nearly as often as we used to. My family loves to pick on me for how much we used to make it. But it has been a favorite of the kids. And a simple meal that I can throw together in a rush. With the need to drop all the extra sodium, however, I had to rethink making it or chicken Alfredo. That is, until I found some homemade recipes for them. We have found that we actually prefer it this way! The flavor of jarred sauces has become so bland. We bought Ragu in the past. It was within our price range, but had some flavor to it. I would always add my own seasonings though when I used them. But with these recipes, I can easily make sauces ahead of time, freeze them and pull them out as needed. I can make multiple batches with ease. The lower sodium count keeps my mind at ease too. So if you are looking to cut out the extra sodium or maybe you just want a great recipe to make your own sauces, then look no farther! Simply delightful! 


 
2 tbsp basil
3 tsp garlic
1/4 onions
1 1/2 tsp ground oregano
8 tbsp tomato paste (no salt added)
15 oz tomato sauce (no salt added)
1 1/2 cups of water
red pepper flakes to taste, optional

Mix everything in a sauce pan on low heat. I cooked it for about 10 minutes while stirring occasionally. You can then let it cool and then store it in the freezer for later or use immediately. 
For lower sodium meatballs, switch to Kikkoman's Panko breadcrumbs. Super low in sodium compared to the Progresso I used to use. Don't add the salt! Stick with herbs and seasonings instead. I use oregano, mostly, but also basil. If you want tangy meatballs, try adding low sodium soy sauce, I use Kikkoman, and a little ginger and brown sugar. Mmmm it is magnificent! 


3 tbsp garlic
3 tsp parsley
2 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
3 tsp lemon juice
3 tbsp all purpose flour
3 tbsp olive oil 
2 1/4 cup 1% milk
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 package of pasta

Start by sauteing the garlic and flour in the oil. Then add in all the other ingredients except the pasta. Simmer on low. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and mix with sauce. It is just that easy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment