Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Crafting for the Holidays

There is something to be said for being able to make things yourself. It can boost your confidence in yourself, raising your self esteem. For some it can be a stress reliever. You get so focused in what you are doing, that you loose the chaotic thoughts of life for just a little while. It saves money. When you make gifts, you are showing that you took the time to pour love and thoughtfulness into it. 

I'm not naturally gifted with the crafter gene. I am one of those who so desperately longs to be creative, that I will try my hand at something with high hopes, but still have the expectation it most likely will fail. My natural optimism falters when it comes to crafts.

Since I'm trying to save money this year, I thought I'd try to make some gifts. Okay, originally, I planned on making most gifts... Now, however, I am being realistic and making just some. Like a pearl framed mirror for my 5 year old daughter. 
Or this pearl and crystal framed photo. After failing to make what I originally wanted (see below) I had to decide to be creative or toss. And then I saw this idea and got creative.
I'm also attempting to make this napkin holder giftable.
I started this Christmas tree-looking decoration.
I was advised to add some bling. Currently out, but my daughter likes it. 
Things like this are simple, but cute. For someone just starting out, check out Pinterest and see what you have laying around your house. As I have learned, not everything comes out as intended. We don't all craft on the same levels. That crystal picture frame was actually meant to be a candle holder, but it didn't turn out like the Pinterest video.


You have to think outside the box. And always remember - "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill.
History tidbit: WD-40 stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try. It took them 40 tries to create what is now a household name with a plethora of uses!

2 comments:

  1. You forget the most important thing about crafting. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So if you like what you make, who is to say it is a fail? And being creative is also decorating your home, what you wear, and things of that nature. So see. We are all creative.

    ReplyDelete