Speaker Stardom

Speaker Stardom | An Elite Booking Agency & Academy

For you the meeting planner, Speaker Stardom will spend hours researching our speakers to ensure they have outstanding stage craft, storytelling skills and something fresh to say in their field of expertise giving you peace of mind that earns your confidence and trust.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Can everyone do crafts?

I'm not sure who thought that everyone could manage crafts. They were severely mistaken. I have been trying my hands at making gifts, only to continually be disappointed.
For Mother's Day, I tried to make decorated glass in frames. They made it seem so simple. Instead, I had blurry words and pictures drawn by my kids and a huge mess in my dining room.
Then came the wonderful search on Pinterest. You see, I have lots of mason jar lids and baby food jars. So I thought I'd look for something else that I could try that would incorporate them. I found this cute video on there to make candle holders with the mason jar lids. It looked so easy. I went looking for alum powder. They sell it with the spices. Except I could only find the little jars of it. And it takes 4 of them to make a cup, which was called for in the recipe. Also, when I tried hot gluing the 2 pieces of the lid together, it didn't stay together. So my husband tried using Super Glue. He got it all over his hands. For the next day or two, every time I looked over at him, he was picking at his fingertips. When I went to move the lid, I also got it on my fingers. Want to be annoyed for a while? Get that stuff on your hands.
Finally came time to soak the lid. I was so excited when I saw that crystals were forming.

It was actually working! Can it be, I am actually going to have a decent gift that I made someone for Christmas?! My joy was short lived.
I pulled out my creation and it again shows that I'm not the hands on person I so wish I were.
Not everyone is meant to make gifts. Not everyone has that creative touch. And I think this applies to those who also do not have a green thumb.

I've considered myself lucky that I have potatoes growing and a couple flowers finally bloomed. Oh yeah, and green onions. But anyone can, or should be able to, grow those. They are like weeds.
We just aren't meant to be artistic in such ways. So what should I do? I don't have much money to spend. As a matter of fact, my husband and I have created a list that includes the people we want to give gifts to, as well as how much we want to spend on each person. Plus what type of gifts we want to get them. In this way, I can start saving and looking for the gifts we had in mind for them. It was a tip we got from our counselor who was a fan of Dave Ramsey
This is actually a great help to us. Most people wait until November to start buying gifts. That is when prices are higher than normal, despite all the "sales" and "deals". Now is the time to really get things cheap. In addition, why wait until the last minute to start buying? We all know we have our normal bills to take care of every month. For most people, that leaves very little extra cash on hand. So they turn to credit cards. Christmas shouldn't strap you down and wring out your pockets. You want to give, start saving early! This is what we are trying to do. Now to figure out how to give and what to give in such a way that I'm not left with pennies every week... I did buy my brother a used Lego set. He wanted a retired set from 2001. My Mom found it for $10 on eBay.
Its nothing fancy, but it is what he wanted. So one gift down, and only 28 left to go! 
Where are you with your Christmas list? What ideas do you have? I'd love to hear about them below!

26 comments:

  1. Some crafts are much easier than others. Also many new crafters need to try making something a few times before it completely works out. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you are right about that! I tend to be fooled by the short videos that look soooo easy!

      Delete
  2. Oh dear I'm sorry your lid and frames didn't work out as planned. I honestly believe that everyone can be crafty, you just need to push past the self doubt and do it. Some crafts take practice, but your writing skills already show how creative you are so you're more than half way there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I plan to try some other things and see if I can manage those any better.

      Delete
  3. Love how you got the crystals to form on the mason jar lid!! I have never seen that done before. I am no where on my Christmas list, but will attempt arts and craft gifts..I think they are the best if you can get them to turn out right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother always tells me those are the best since they come from the heart :) Good luck with yours!

      Delete
  4. I wish I were more into crafts. I admire people who do them. They always look like so much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I think some people are gifted to do them and enjoy doing them.

      Delete
  5. I sure do feel your pain. I went to a wreath making class a while back, not because I had real expectations of making one but because I had an old one that I really wanted to repair. So I get to the class and they start talking about the hot glue gun this and that and I was going, wait a minute. Let's start with the hot glue gun. Good times but Martha Stewart doesn't have lot of worry about me either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get lost when people talk crafts! My best friends are so creative. But I just nod and ooh over the things they make. Not understanding the process to get there.

      Delete
  6. Mastering an art is not easy. You have to put a lot of work and we should not expect to create a great art first time. It takes lot of time and we should learn from the mistakes. All the best

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think everyone can be crafty and creative. Creations might look great, while others might not -- but that's the beauty of making something with your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. Part of my problem is being a perfectionist and believing that it has to look just like the idea that I got it from. I'm a work in progress on this.

      Delete
  8. I wish I was more crafty! I would like to experiment with some fun crafts with my step kids. They love stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sisters and mom and even my sister in law and mother in law are all crafty! My best friend is the Hispanic Martha Stewart. I feel like I should be able to do it more too! lol

      Delete
  9. I know what you mean because don't have a green thumb either! I like doing crafts n have got a little flair though

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely craftier in my head! lol I wish I was better at crafts. I'm not the greatest with plants either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm attempting to get better with both, but I don't hold my breath lol

      Delete
  11. The more you craft, the better you'll get over time. Practice makes perfect! Don't give up so easily

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holidays ( no matter which one it is) shouldn't be about what you give or what you get. However, many feel they have to give to others. They also live under the belief it has to be what the person wants instead of it coming from the heart. Funny thing is we have fallen into the trap companies put out for us. We buy stuff we see advertised thinking that is what we want. How about a surprise gift? What happened to giving something that may be of interest that the person didn't ask for? You never know if your mother in law enjoys knitting if she has never tried it, right? So give her a book, a few needles and some yarn and let her find out? That is an example of what I mean. The world is full of things to learn about it we just get out of our comfort zone every once in a while and try something new. Oh, and Pinterest is full of craft ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't about the gifts, for me. I just love to give. But I also don't give unless I have an idea on where to go. I don't know enough about the personalities of some people. So giving to them is difficult. Surprise gifts are great, but still need to fall under their personality type. Pinterest is definitely my go-to for ideas though!

      Delete
  13. I've definitely had a few disastrous craft projects as well. But it makes it all the more exciting when things actually work out and you get the result you wanted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! Do you ever find ways to re-purpose the ones that went wrong?

      Delete