Saturday, April 19, 2014

Don't let life pass you by....

How many times do you find yourself looking around and wondering where time has gone? I know it hits me like a wall of bricks at least once a month. Okay... maybe once a week. Truth is, life passes by way too quickly. We get so wrapped up in the business of day-to-day life, that we miss all the amazing moments that create the big picture.
I know I sure do. I spend so much time working, cleaning, cooking, and seeing to the details of family life... I miss out on the little things that normally bring me joy.
I work before the sun comes up until late morning/early afternoon. When I get home, I have to clean and possibly run all the errands. My three kiddos make their demands and I try to fill them. My husband lays out his list and I try to accomplish those goals. Everyone wants something and some days it seems I'm the only one to deal with it all. Lunch time comes and goes in a blur. Before I know it, the house is clean, but now its time to cook again. Dinner gets made, mouths are fed, and again I'm cleaning. Then, before I can blink, its time for a shower and sleep so I can wake up bright-eyed and bushy pony-tailed at 2AM for another shift. How does it pass me by so quickly??
Somehow I have to fit in home school, behavioral development of three kids aging 5 and under, and those self-set goals. All this, while desperately trying not to sit or fall asleep. I sit = I fall asleep.
My self-set goals are to get those six pack abs back. Even though I've had 3 kiddos, love to eat, and am often too tired to workout after all the working I do daily. I know its probably impossible, but I'll be darned if I don't give it a try anyhow.
I want to finish my degree in Criminology. But how? I work full time, home school, and keep up with life's demands.

I want to pay off all those debts that weigh me down and keep me from getting that dream home of my own. But that just means another few years of working 40+ hours a week and cutting back on all things not needed for survival. Okay, not that strict...
So many wants with no time to accomplish them. And at the end of the day, I find myself looking back with regret. If I had just finished this, if I had just taken another moment to do that, maybe I should wash that last dish... The list goes on. I know I shouldn't. After all, a Mother needs her rest too. And no matter how hard I try, I'm never going to be that fabled Super Mom. Let's face it, she doesn't truly exist. We can only do our best. We can learn from our mistakes. We can try to be better. Practice doesn't make us perfect, but it brings us closer to perfection. Don't strive for perfection. You will go mad in the process. Strive instead, to be your best. And to be happy with that. Kiss the kids often, take a moment to relax, and try to remember the little things that bring you joy!
"Well-behaved women seldom make history." ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History

1 comment: