Shopkick is entirely free to use. Everything is done through the app so yes, you must have a smart phone for it to work. Or perhaps an iPad.
So what happens? You download the app to your phone and get signed up. Enter basic profile information. Then they will ask what kind of reward you wish to set as your goal. You can change this reward at any time. Then begin collecting your kicks!
- Daily kicks are earned by opening the app once every day. This will give you 1 kick automatically. Not much, so I suggest doing other things if you want that gift card faster....
- Walking into stores - make sure you open the app before entering the doors. Let's say you are heading into Target (my favorite of the stores). Open the app and step inside. Typically I stand near the front doors, say Dollar Spot for instance, and wait for it to pop up with a blue bubble telling me I got my kicks. You are allowed to do this once a day per store. I have to warn you, after doing it so many times or earning so many points for that store in walk-ins, it will tell you that you met your limit. Give it a few days and usually it lets you start back up again. Some smaller stores that are in malls even allow you to get the kicks by just walking by them. You don't have to "walk in".
- Look-books are these wonderful ways to earn 1-2 kicks just by scrolling through the deals and items stores have to offer. Occasionally after going through a new look-book, the amount of kicks you can get in a walk-in go up. So you can go from 35 up to 50+ next time you walk into your favorite store. The look-books also allow you to save your favorite items so you can check them out at a later date.
- Scans are great to do while you are already walking through the store. Certain items offer kicks for scanning the barcode on them.
- If you Link your Card, you get kicks when you pay with credit on that card.
- Referrals of friends can pay off for you both. Refer them and you both get bonus kicks when they sign up.
here and get some bonus points while you are at.